Health Minster Robin Swann, MLA, has announced the appointment of a new Non- Executive Chair to the Northern Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency (NIMDTA).
Mr Derek Wilson's appointment commenced on 1 October 2021 and will end on a date not later than 30 September 2025.
NIMDTA's Chair position attracts an annual remuneration of 15,003 with a time commitment of four days per month.
This appointment has been made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
NIMDTA, is an Arm's Length Body sponsored by the Department of Health to train postgraduate medical and dental professionals for Northern Ireland. NIMDTA organises, promotes and oversees postgraduate medical and dental education and training throughout NI. It recruits, selects and allocates doctors and dentists to foundation, core and specialty training programmes. It aims to provide trainees with a wide range of excellent opportunities to gain competence, maximising their potential to complete training successfully so that they can be appointed to permanent posts in NI.
The NIMDTA Board comprises a Non-Executive Chair and five Non-Executive Members.
Notes to editors:
- Mr Derek Wilson had a banking career spanning almost four decades, almost the latter half of which was spent managing mortgage businesses in NI, RoI and GB.He concurrently chaired the UK Finance NI Mortgage Committee, formerly the Council of Mortgage Lenders, for ten years. Mr Wilson currently holds three other public appointments. Prior to leaving banking, in 2015, he was appointed to the board of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive where he now also chairs the Resources and Performance Committee, having been re-appointed last year for a second term of five years. This position attracts a remuneration of 7,030 per annum. In 2020, he was appointed to the governing body of the South Eastern Regional College. This position attracts a fee of 150/250 per meeting. In 2021, he was appointed as a Parades Commissioner with an annual remuneration of 22,000. Mr Wilson is also a member of the board of the Co-ownership Housing Association. A graduate of Queen's University, he also serves as a Lay member of the Northern Ireland Pharmaceutical Society Statutory Committee.
- Appointments to NIMDTA are made with the approval of the Health Minister.
- All public appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Mr Derek Wilson has declared that he has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
- For media enquiries please contact DOH Press Office by email email@example.com.
- Follow us on twitter@healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
Share this page