Tue, 04 Oct 2022

Youth Engagement Statistics for Northern Ireland 2020/21 published today

Northern Ireland Executive
02 Dec 2021, 22 GMT+10

The Department of Justice (DoJ) today published a Research and Statistical Bulletin on 'Youth Engagement Statistics for Northern Ireland 2020/21'. It is an Official Statistics Publication.

This bulletin presents data on cases relating to young people (aged between 10 and 17 years) coming into formal contact with the criminal justice system in Northern Ireland for the year 1 April 2020 - 31 March 2021, providing some detail on those referred for the Youth Engagement process, alongside information on the time taken for that process to complete and on subsequent outcomes.  Like the rest of the justice system, the Youth Engagement process was impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic, in the processing of cases and in the ability to conduct Youth Engagement clinics.

  • There were 2,267 cases relating to young people coming into formal contact with the criminal justice system in 2020-21.  This is a decrease of 456 (16.7%) from 2019-20.
  • The Public Prosecution Service (PPS) assessed 49.4% (1,121) of cases suitable for resolution through the Youth Engagement process and 47.9% (1,085) as not suitable.
  • The majority (75.5%, 1,712) of young people coming into formal contact with the justice system in 2020-21 were male.
  • Over half, (51.4%, 1,166) of cases in 2020-21 were in relation to those aged from 16 or 17 at the time of their offence. The remaining 48.6 % (1,101) were aged 10 to 15 at the time of their offence.
  • Of those assessed by PPS as not suitable for Youth Engagement, 50.7% (550) were deemed suitable for prosecution and 48.7% (528) were assessed as requiring no further action. 
  • The most common outcome for those going through Youth Engagement was a Youth Conference, with 41.2%, (462) receiving this outcome.
  • All of the cases (100.0%, 68) removed from the Youth Engagement process were returned to the PPS for a further decision on how the case was to be progressed.
  • The median time for a case to be dealt with through the Youth Engagement process in 2020-21 was 78 days, an increase of 29 days from the median time recorded in 2019-20.
  •  Legal representation, while offered to individuals, was declined in the majority (83.3%, 695) of cases by the family.
  • Of those who participated in a Youth Engagement clinic and responded to the survey question, 98.3% (118) of young people stated the clinic 'helped them understand the choices available to them'.

More Belfast News

Access More

Sign up for Belfast News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!