The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) has published the Northern Ireland carrier bag levy annual statistics for 2022/23.
This statistical report is updated annually and the published statistics relate to the carrier bag levy that commenced on 8 April 2013. The figures relate to the number of bags dispensed by retailers in Northern Ireland between 1 April 2022 and 31 March 2023 as notified to the Department by 30 June 2023.
The key points are:
- From 1 April 2022, the Carrier Bags Charge Regulations were extended so that the levy is 25 pence and applies to all new carrier bags with a retail price of five pounds or less.
- During the tenth year of operation, 65.0 million carrier bags were dispensed by retailers under the carrier bag levy in Northern Ireland.
- The number of lower rate bags dispensed in 2022/23 (costing only the 25 pence) was 28.7 million while the number of upper rate bags dispensed (those costing more than the 25 pence levy and up to five pounds) was 36.2 million.
- In 2022/23, 44% of the bags dispensed were lower rate compared to 56% of higher rate bags.
- The proceeds of the levy for 2022/23 totalled Pound 14.4 million.